This week is our final opportunity to ensure members of Congress hear from their constituents.
The House Committee on Appropriations is marking up the Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies appropriations bill. As it stands now, the Hyde Amendment and other longstanding, bipartisan provisions are not included. The elimination of these amendments would force taxpayers to pay for elective abortions, force health care professionals to perform and refer for abortions against their religious beliefs, and force employers and insurers to cover and pay for abortion.
Please encourage parishioners to contact Senator Stabenow, Senator Peters, and their respective congressional representative. This can be accomplished in the following ways:
- Generic message via this form: https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/86795/Respond.
- Email or write the official’s office. Find contact information for each elected official here: https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/address
- The attached flyer has contact information for Senators Stabenow and Peters. You can add information for your respective representative and hang it in the narthex or place it online.
- Sign the petition at notaxpayerabortion.com
The U.S. Bishops released a statement about this week’s activities: https://www.usccb.org/news/2021/bishop-chairmen-respond-extreme-abortion-push-appropriations-bill. Their statements, Bishop Walkowiak’s letter to parishioners, and other resources are available on the diocesan website: https://grdiocese.org/contact-congress-act-now-to-help-save-hyde-amendment-from-repeal/.
The Hyde Amendment prohibits federal funding of elective abortions and has been renewed in the federal government’s budget for the last 45 years. Despite longstanding, bipartisan support for the amendment, and overwhelming public support as well, the amendment is in great danger of being repealed.
Catholics are being encouraged to take immediate action by signing the online petition to Congress at NoTaxpayerAbortion.com.
Here are resources to help you in these efforts:
- You should have recently received the attached letter from Paul Long, president and CEO of Michigan Catholic Conference.
- Backgrounder that can be printed in your bulletin and published online.
- Bulletin/Pulpit announcements (attached)
- A flyer and social media graphics can be found here: https://www.respectlife.org/no-taxpayer-abortion
- We’re working on a diocesan webpage and social media posts, along with a letter from Bishop Walkowiak to parishioners.
Bishop Walkowiak’s Letter: +DJW-hyde-amendment-letter