#GiveCatholicWM on #GivingTuesday
What is #GivingTuesday? What does it have to do with us at Saint Luke University Parish? It is a global day dedicated to giving back, especially after the commercialism and consumerism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is a time to think about giving rather than receiving.
And giving back is what we do every day as Catholic Christians. So why not participate with millions around the world during this secular event to support our own ministries?
#GivingTuesday happens the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and is an opportunity for communities, churches, families, and individuals globally to come together and to simply celebrate generosity for 24 hours.
This year, Bishop Walkowiak is encouraging Catholics to participate by supporting parishes, schools and ministries right here in West Michigan. You are being asked to #GiveCatholicWM on #Giving Tuesday. It is our own local link to this day of giving back.
#Giving Tuesday is about giving of your time and talent, as much as it is about giving of your treasure. To encourage younger generations in our Church to put their faith into action, a global social media movement has been launched.
Uprise: Our Catholic Generosity Commitment has recently celebrated its second anniversary. The goal of the movement is to encourage the next generation to focus on service through the corporal and spiritual works of mercy. For more information and to make the Uprise Commitment visit CatholicUprise.com
Here are ways you can participate on Tuesday, December 3:
- Donate to #GiveCatholicWM from midnight to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday: http://bit.ly/givecatholicwm. One hundred percent of the donations will go to the earmarked parish, school, or ministry. Credit card fees will not be charged.
- Post a status or photo on your social media accounts explaining why you support giving within our diocese. Use the hashtags #GiveCatholicWM and #GivingTuesday.
- Take and post a photo of yourself or your family members sharing what #GiveCatholicWM means to you. Use the hashtags #GiveCatholicWM and #GivingTuesday.
- Make the Uprise Commitment as a family
- The Diocese of Grand Rapids would love to know how you plan to #GiveCatholicWM. Send your photo to email@example.com and with your permission it may be posted to diocesan social media accounts. And if you aren’t already a part of our Facebook family, join us at facebook.com/DioceseofGrandRapids
During this Thanksgiving season, it is appropriate for us who have given so much to be a part of and to support this worldwide effort. Join with me, other members of our parish and Catholics around the country by celebrating generosity right here at home.