The Hyde Amendment prohibits federal funding of elective abortions and has been renewed in the federal government’s budget for the last 45 years. Despite longstanding, bipartisan support for the amendment, and overwhelming public support as well, the amendment is in great danger of being repealed.
Catholics are being encouraged to take immediate action by signing the online petition to Congress at NoTaxpayerAbortion.com.
Pastors are encouraged to spend these next few weekends educating their congregations about this issue with the goal of taking widespread action during the weekend of June 5/6.
Here are resources to help you in these efforts:
- You should have recently received the attached letter from Paul Long, president and CEO of Michigan Catholic Conference.
- Backgrounder that can be printed in your bulletin and published online.
- Bulletin/Pulpit announcements (attached)
- A flyer and social media graphics can be found here: https://www.respectlife.org/no-taxpayer-abortion
- We’re working on a diocesan webpage and social media posts, along with a letter from Bishop Walkowiak to parishioners.
Bishop Walkowiak’s Letter: +DJW-hyde-amendment-letter